Acne is a condition that can attack the skin at any age but most common in teenage years. This condition displays itself by oily shine, comedones, large pores, papules, pustules and cysts. It’s most common areas to attack, are areas which contain a lot of sebaceous glands, like the face, neck, chest, back and shoulders. Genetics and hormones determine how much sebum our skin produces.
What causes Oily / Acne Skin types?
- Blockage of hair follicles, where sebum is produced, by dead skin cells.
- Over production of sebum
- Proliferation of P. Acnes, bacteria and inflammation
Types of Acne
Blackheads & whiteheads occur when a plug made up of sebum and dead skin cells can be seen inside a follicle (pore) but does not cause any inflammation or redness.
- Blackhead: enlarge and stretch the pore, due to a build-up of melanin and oxidised oil causing the darkness.
- Whitehead: When a thin cover of skin traps the plug, it prevents the oil from oxidising, this creates a whitehead.
When follicles are blocked by sebum and skin cells, the follicular walls are under pressure. If the pressure is great enough, the follicle wall will break, and the contents will spread into the surrounding skin. When the immune system responds to this bacteria and sebum, inflammatory acne occurs. The amount of inflammation depends on the size and redness of the acne lesion.
- Papules: Pink or red bumps without a yellow centre.
- Pustules: Red bumps with a white or yellow centre of pus. Pustules are formed when the plug inside a pore traps oil and bacteria, which draws white blood cells to the area to fight infection. Pus is made up of dead white blood cells.
- Cysts and nodules: Large and often painful acne lesions, that extend into the deep layers of the skin. They can last for months and destroy the follicle which leads to permanent scarring.
How We Can Help With Ance
From our clinic in Cookstown, Northern Ireland, we offer multiple skincare solutions that can be hugely beneficial in the treatment of acne and following consultation we will advise you on what we feel is the treatment method best suited to you.
Acne Treatments we can offer include:
Intense Pulsed Light (IPL) Treatment
IPL Photorejuvenation can treat a variety of benign skin conditions. The broad spectrum of light is used in IPL Photorejuvenation treatments is absorbed by the target tissue, and is then removed by the body’s natural processes, providing dramatic improvements in the appearance of acne.
Epionce Skin Peels / Chemical Face Peels
The Epionce Chemical Peel system has been formulated for all skin types including acne to gently remove the superficial epidermis to effectively rejuvenate and improve the appearance and maximise the health of the skin.
Alumier Skin Peels
Alumier also have a very complex peel system, with not only one peel but a variety of peels to mix and match to the clients needs for their skin, so essentially, they are tailor made to suit every individuals skin type and include various options for the treatment of acne.
Microdermabrasion over the years has become a very popular treatment to a lot of skin conditions including acne. It works by eliminating surface layers from the skin’s surface, to reveal alive, refreshed, radiant skin which can be buried under dead lifeless cells.
Dermalux™ LED Phototherapy uses clinically proven wavelengths to recharge these cells energising them to heal quicker and rejuvenate faster, promoting healing from the inside out. Dermalux™ Red light has a powerful anti-ageing and anti-inflammatory effect on the skin. It is also an excellent treatment for sufferers of sensitive skin conditions such as acne.
Get In Touch
Contact us today to find out how we can help treat your acne. We welcome clients from across Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland to our clinic in Cookstown, County Tyrone.
Start your journey by calling us on (028) 8623 9319 or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org